Are Phones Affecting Our Relationship?
Monday, 13 June 2016
Whether you are parents or not, it is always nice to go away with your partner for a long weekend break or a nigh away break somewhere. It is the time where you can both relax, enjoy eachtother's company and a chance to bond together too. Well, it should be. There is one thing that comes in between most relationship these days and that is a mobile phone. We all have one and most of us use it daily. But should we really use it whilst on a break with our loved ones?
Me and my partner try and go for a break away at least once a year and I am one of those who will happily put my phone down for a good few hours but I can also sit down and play on my phone for hours too, especially on social media with my blog. Looking back at our breaks I do remember us both sitting in bed and just playing on our phones. Was there any need for that? Not really. We could of spent that time doing other things.
Durex have researched couples going on holiday and how tech has affected relationships whilst away. They have also done a video which you can view here. When couples go on holiday there is one thing that every couple expects on the night in the hotel and that is, sex. In the research that Durex did, 52% expect better sex whilst away with their partner. But with being on phones for hours, is that possible? 41% of people admitted that nights on holiday with their partner can be spent on separate phones in the same bed. Which to me is quite shocking. It's a shame that phones can really get in between couples bonding and expressing their feelings. Whilst 41% of people expect better sex whilst they are away, 60% of them admitted that the reality did not meet those expectations. One big turn off and let down in a hotel room on a break away is when you are both in bed and one of you is just playing on the phone, giving no attention to the other person. 40% of people are less likely to instigate sex if their partner is on their phone in bed.
57% of people say they would be more turned on if they knew their partner had turned their phone off to focus on their partners for the evening. When you have no technology such as phones, laptops, iPad's and so on, you do concentrate more on eachother and that is how it should be for all couples. I do believe everyone needs a phone on them, but you could easily switch Wi-Fi off and put it on silence and then only use the phone for emergencies. Other than that, no one really needs a phone. No one needs to update their social media sites by checking themselves in a fancy restaurant or posting photos in Instagram. Think of the communication you are loosing with your loved one.
I personally think a lot of stress and arguments in relationships these days are caused by using a phone. Having no phone is a time to bond, catch up on eachother's weeks and talk about your interests to one another. It can also be a way re lighting that spark between you both. There are a few ways you could go without your phones:
Switching notifications off: By doing this your phone won't be beeping or vibrating each time some tries texting, calling or conacting you on social media. This will get you off the phone and checking your phone less and less.
Leave your phone in the hotel room: There is no harm in leaving your phone in the hotel room. You don't really need it everywhere that you go.
Put it on silence: The same as switching notifications off, putting your phone on silence will help you by not looking at your phone so often.
What do you think about using phones whilst you're on a break with your partner?