I thought I would start something new on my Blog. If you are a regular reader of my Blog, you may notice I write a lot of tips and advice. A few weeks ago I thought I would start doing a 'Series' on my Blog, but something different every month. But something to get other Bloggers involved too.
My first Blog Series is 'Teenage Pregnancy/Parents'. There is a lot of opinions about Young parents and Teenage pregnancies. I notice this more, because I was one. I was 16 years old when I fell pregnant. I was 17 years old when I gave birth. I fell pregnant with my second child at the age of 18 and gave birth at 19. It was scary. People judged. But at the end of the day, I knew I was going to try my best to be a good Mother to my daughters.
Does Age really define you as a Mother?
NO! My own Mother is 40 years old. Yes, she was young having me. She was kind of OK when I was a baby. But everything changed when I was around 4 or 5 years old. My Dad got full custody. Best thing that has happened to me. She hasn't been a Mother to me, at all. She has 6 children all together. The youngest is 4 years old. She is a rubbish Mum. So I know that just because you're a young mum, it does not mean you will be a rubbish one. I am doing the best I can.
My opinion, it's only you who can try your best to be a good parent. There are no perfect parents out there. But we try. Some don't but most do. No Mother should be judged by their age.
This is why I have made my first 'Series' topic about Teenage Pregnancy/Parenting. In the next few weeks throughout June there will be a few questions I did, answered by other Bloggers. All these Bloggers are aged between 15-19 years old and all have had a teenage/young pregnancy.
To start of, here are the questions and my answers.
I hope you enjoy this series!
1. Hi! Let's start with your name and how old were you when you fell pregnant with your first?
My name is Beth. I was 16 years old when I fell pregnant and 17 giving birth.
2. How did you find out you were pregnant and how far along were you?
I was 7 days late. I took a test. I was gone roughly 7 weeks.
3. How did you feel being young and pregnant?
I was scared. Actually, I was petrified! I didn't know what to think. I was in utter shock.
I felt guilty because i was bringing my first daughter into life with one parent to be there for her. As at the time her Dad did not want anything to do with her.
4. How did you tell your partner/parents?
I phoned the baby's Dad. He wasn't happy. I told my Dad's partner at the time over MSN. And she told my Dad.
5. Was it planned or unplanned? Were you on any contraceptive?
No it was not planned. And no, no contraceptive. I was young and just didn't think it would happen to me. Honestly.
6. Were you judged at all?
Yes. I was getting told by a few 'friends' to get rid. I was called all sorts by a lot of people.
7. Were you in a relationship with the baby's Dad?
No i wasn't. He knew i liked him, he led me on.
8. How was your pregnancy? Any problems? Did it go smoothly?
At the start it was perfect. Nothing to complain. Then i had Obstetric Cholestasis in the last 10 weeks of my pregnancy.
9. Be honest, were you financially stable? Could you afford the baby? If not, how did you plan to afford the baby?
No i wasn't. I had 3 months left of college. I started a Summer job but fainted on the first day. My Dad helped me get things ready for the baby. I was lucky enough to be given a lot of things.
10. Did your life change? If so, how? and it what way?
Yes it did. I lost a lot of friends. I wasn't getting invited to go anywhere by a lot of friends. I was spending my nights at home instead of outside hanging out with friends. My main priority was my daughter. I loved spending every minute with her (and still do).
11. Honestly, do you wish you were a bit older having your baby?
Sometimes yes. But only because i didn't get that 'teenage life' all my friends had. But i honestly do not wish to change anything. I like how my life has turned out.
12. Do you think an older mum, makes a better mum?
No i don't. Like i said above. No mother should be judged by their age.
13. How was your labour? (link a labour story if you wish)
It bloody well hurt! I did scream. Especially the last few pushes. 10 hours 29 minutes of labour!
14. Did you loose/gain friends through pregnancy and/or after?
I lost a lot. But i gained better friends, even though i can count them on one hand now.
15. Did you have your own house when you fell pregnant? Or did you still live with parents?
No. I lived with my Dad. I moved out when my daughter was nearly 3 years old.
16. Were you in a stable relationship? Or single?
No i wasn't. I was single.
17. How would you feel if your child has a teenage pregnancy?
I don't want her to fall pregnant young. I want her to go out, travel, go to uni and enjoy her life. Even though i have enjoyed my life, i just hope she gets to do a lot more than what i did. If it did happen, then i will be there for her, no matter what.
18. Through experience, tell us why people shouldn't judge a teen/young parent.
We all try our best. Even older mothers. No one should judge a mother by her age.
19. What is your life like now?
I have two daughters. In a long term relationship. We have bought our own home. I work from home as a Blogger and i am really happy with my life.